Monday, May 11, 2009

End of Chapter

After the eye-opening attempt to the peak under harsh condition, I was out of breath. Even though the trek wasn't steep but I put in a lot of attention as I didn't want to lose any footing along this treacherous stretch. However exhausted we were, there was no chance to rest as it was advisable to head down after breakfast.

When everyone had make it down to the hut, we packed our stuffs and went for a highly anticipated buffet breakfast (due to the hunger). We did not linger too long and left Laban Rata Restaurant at approximately 9.45am.


Surprisingly, I didn't feel heavy-hearted as I departed. That made me wonder, do I really dislike this place? It can't be, I enjoyed myself thoroughly, every single step I made, even though I went through lots of hardship. Perhaps it was a sense of accomplishment even though I didn't make it to the top.
Basically, this is the end of my Mount Kinabalu adventure. I will definitely return a second time to really make it to the peak. My dad has shown interest. It will be an honour to hike with my dad. I guess it is going to be the best and most awesome experience to be able to enjoy sunrise with my dad at the peak! Let me share some photos with you that I took on my way down. Of course, the trek down using Timbohon route (which is a few km shorter) is way faster. But, I suffered from muscle pain when I came back to KL. The steps along Timbohon are wide apart. I utilized a lot of my thigh muscle to cushion my feet. Perhaps running down without stopping would have been a better option but I have a weak heart and my heart is not up for adrenaline rush like that. I admit that I fare better going up hill than going down.





When we arrived at Timbohon gate, we had to take a bus to Kinabalu Park for our lunch. Well, anyone could have walked there, it's just another 4km away. Our lunch was served in Balsam Cafe in Kinabalu Park. I ate to my heart's content. Balsam Cafe is a quaint cottage with colourful flowers planted around it.






2 comments:

Em Kay said...

Wow, this is a very extensive report. I wrote something about my hike up Kinabalu too

smallbook said...

It's good to share, i want others being able to get some information from my blog so that they will love hiking too.